Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It is now officialy March...

It has come three days late for me. February for the longest time has been considered "Applying to Grad School" month and until today I wasn't quite done with it yet.

So as you may remember I auditioned for U/RTA's NUAIs (University/Residential Theater Association's National Unified Auditions and Interviews...whew.) Complete waste of my time...almost.

So you remember a few posts ago where I confessed the amount of self-confidence it takes to be an actor let alone one that's auditioning for grad school. The auditions are not the same as auditioning for shows...we wont go into the fact that I barely have any experience in that, just take this for what its worth. They're not the same. When you audition for a show you auditioning for whoever, when you audition for grad school you usually in front of some of the greatest theatrical minds of today...the ones that are teaching the ones you audition for when going out for a show...if that makes sense...where was I...

Anyway, I mustered up all this self-confidence, paid $100+ to be there and what happened? I did my audition, felt it went really well, nothing. No interviews, no call-backs...nothing. Okay so I get it....it was an audition...actors should be able to do auditions and expect nothing because 9 times out of 10, that's what you're going to get. But hold on a sec, I paid to be there and left not knowing if I sucked, if I just didn't fit...etc. I don't know, it just didn't make sense, I felt robbed...I truly felt like I had gone to Vegas and gambled $100 away...

Okay so I promise that's the last time I'm going to rant about that. I'm officially over it because today I auditioned for Regent University. I busted my butt for this audition. I feel it went well. I got good feedback and I feel Regent is where I'm headed. (oh the blogging that will come from the experience of moving across the country...get excited.)

My audition today was pretty chill. I didn't do it exactly how I'd expected. I did each piece one at a time because he wanted to video it. That's cool. The music didn't start when I wanted it to. Lame. And the portfolio that I was up till 2am making sure was perfect I didn't really need because I can't apply for the directing concentration until I get there. So with that in mind I tried to hand him this really cool little card thingy that I made with my web address to my new online directors portfolio. Well I handed him the card that said,

Jeff Fazakerley
Actor/SIGNER/Director

"You're a signer?" he said. "Yup. Sure am! I sign things. Its a new wave of theater hitting the lower east side of.....HOW STUPID AM I?!!!" I must have looked that over eight times before I printed it on left over card stock we had from our wedding.

How embarrassing.

I laughed it off and blamed it on how late I stayed up working and promptly took the card back as I didn't want him showing off my idiocy to...whoever. Anyway, Regent, if you reading this to check up on me...I know how to spell SINGER. It's what I did third in my audition. You know, "What do I need with love?" and all that. Yeah, think about that...not my spelling abilities. Here's the deal, you let me into your program, I'll become a really good actor, get signed immediately to a million dollar movie deal, I'll pay off my parents debt and my school debt and the I'll hire someone to do all my spelling for me! Sound good?


This blog post is so weird. And for that, I apologize.

No comments: