Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Month to Go…

Emily and I are leaving for Moshi, Tanzania on May 30. We'll be serving Ryan and Stacy Helbling for two weeks doing numerous service projects ranging from fixing up the guest house to slaughtering chickens. We'll also be visiting Treasures of Africa to work around there and primarily spend time with the children. We don't expect to change anything as much as we expect to be changed.

Why haven't I blogged about this yet? Good question. Regent has taken up most of my thoughts for some time now…it still does. The preperation for this trip has been quite simple compared to my other missions experiences. Our team of seven students meets at our house on Sunday nights. We pray, we discuss, we wii.

In high school, right after I was pulled over by six cops at gun-point (I'll have to write about that sometime) I went on a trip to Mexico City. We primarily did VBS and spent time with the kids on the outskirts of the city. Months before hand we took lessons from a clown on how to make balloon animals, a skill we used on the streets. Unfortunately I only knew how to make dogs and swords. "Perro o espada?" we said over and over again. "Mico!" (monkey) the children would cry.

In 2006 I went to southern France where we also did VBS. This trip required much more preparation as we were basically creating an American Kids Camp at someone's house out in the country. We arrived a week prior to the actual week of VBS just to work on things like laying cement, building a pirate ship in the garage and filling five hundred some odd water balloons. I was also a performer in all the skits we did that week so there was the obvious rehearsals for that. The kids, in combination with the amazing people I worked with resulted in a life altering experience.

So we may not have planned a VBS program that could compete with a broadway musical or anything and we may not be preparred to make circus animals out of balloons, but at least for Emily and I, God has been doing his own preparations in our hearts. The last few months I know God has been getting Emily and I ready for something. From the moment we found out we were leading a team to Africa, having never been there ourselves, we've prayed that God would change us and use us for his will. We are both excited yet terrified. When you ask God to change you, to mold you, to use you, and if you're trully letting him…he will.

I'm excited to see what God has in store. Emily and I covet your prayers for ourselves and our amazing team. Naturally we are also attempting to raise funds for this amazing trip. So far we've been able to save and raise a little over half of our $7500 goal. If you're interested in supporting us financially please contact me and I'll let you know how!


 

No comments: